Google Scholar lists Sutherland as the author or co-author of approximately 220 publications. Most notable among these publications are:
- Sutherland, Ivan E., “Sketchpad: A Man-Machine Graphical Communication System,” AFIPS Conference Proceedings, Volume 23, Spring Joint Computer Conference, pp. 329-346, 1963. This paper reports the work that gave birth to computer graphics by making it possible for a man and a computer to converse through the medium of line drawings.
- Sutherland, Ivan E., “Micropipelines,” Communications of the ACM, Volume 32, Number 6, pp. 720-728, June 1989. This is his 1989 Turing Award lecture describing a particularly simple form of event-driven, elastic pipeline with or without internal processing.
- Sutherland, Ivan E., “A Characterization of Ten Hidden-Surface Algorithms,” Computing Surveys, Volume 6, Number 1, pp. 1-55, March, 1974. This paper discusses the hidden surface problem from the point of view of sorting.
- Sutherland, Ivan E., A Head-Mounted, Three-Dimensional Display,” AFIPS Proceedings of the Fall Joint Computer Conference, Part I, pp. 757-764, 1968. This paper describes a three-dimensional display which presents the user with a perspective image which changes as it moves.
- Sutherland, Ivan E., “The Ultimate Display,” Proceedings of the IFIP Congress, pp. 506-508, 1965. This paper discusses a display connected to a digital computer to facilitate familiarity with concepts not realizable in the physical world.
A list of additional publications can be found here.
- Sutherland, Ivan E., An Electro-Mechanical Model of Simple Animals,” Computers and Automation, February, 1958
- Sutherland, Ivan E., “Stability in Steering Control,” Electrical Engineering, April, 1960